James D. Hanson, RLA
Jim Hanson is the President and principal designer for the Landscape Architectural consulting firm, Hanson Design Associates, LLC (HDA), established in 1997. Jim has been practicing in the field of Landscape Architecture for better than 28 years, and has developed creative, yet practical solutions to a diverse array of projects. Projects have included campus development, street enhancements, residential planting buffers, community parks, resort development, new and renovated schools, commercial development and various residential improvements. He is readily able to adapt to various project types and take projects from the study and planning phase through construction.
Responsibilities generally consist of planning, designing and managing projects. Jim demonstrates a strong understanding of the importance of communication between the Consultants and the Owner to provide thorough, organized and comprehensive documents. Jim is very experienced in the layout, design, and construction supervision of plantings, lawns, irrigation systems, walkways, plazas, parking lots, patios, raised planters, retaining walls, site furnishings, custom shade structures, fences, monument signage and ornamental ponds.
Having worked on both the planning and installation of campus projects, Jim is well aware that campus projects have unique components that must be researched and coordinated before plans can be implemented. Typical components encountered include campus design standards, on-campus safety, maintainability and durability of materials, aesthetics, creative use of plant materials, snow removal and urban soils. Jim will work closely with the campus staff to address their concerns with solutions that will greatly benefit the campus.
• Hanson Design Associates, Fargo, ND – 1997 to present
• Wyss Associates, Rapid City, SD – 1994 to 1997
• SSA Landscape Architects, Santa Cruz, CA – 1991 to 1994
• Issacson Wood & Assoc., San Jose, CA – 1989 to 1991
• B.A. Landscape Architecture, North Dakota State University, 1989
• B.S. in Environmental Design, North Dakota State University, 1989
• North Dakota Registered Landscape Architect; License #2
• Minnesota Registered Landscape Architect; License #25623
• Council of Landscape Architects Member; Certificate #952
Memberships and Affiliations:
• North Dakota Urban and Community Forestry Association
We Want to be Part of your Next Amazing Project